St. Mary’s Annual Picnic! on TODAY, Sunday, July 21
10:30 am Eucharist followed by potluck picnic bring a blanket, a chair, some food to share! Morningside Park at 120th Street (to avoid the steps, enter at 124th Street).
“Decriminalizing Pimps and Johns in New York: What’s at Stake?” A Conversation About Bill A.8230/S.6419 on Tue, July 23, 2019
7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. A conversation about bill A.8230/S.6419, aimed at decriminalizing the sex trade, with: New York State Assembly Member Richard Gottfried, bill sponsor. Dorchen Leidholdt, Sanctuary for Families Legal Director and Co-chair of the New Yor State Anti-Trafficking Coalition. Marian Hatcher, Policy Analyst and Victim Advocate in the Office of Public Policy for the Cook County Sheriff’s Office. Jessica Raven, Decrim NY Steering Committee member. To register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/conversation-with-assembly-member-gottfried-on-bill-a8230s6419-tickets-63913471915.
Equity and Environmental Justice on June 20, 2019
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. The creation care committee of the Diocese of New York presents the first in a series of workshops: Equity and Environmental Justice, Creating Sustainable Green Spaces and Reducing Waste. Church of the Mediator, 260 West 231st Street, Bronx, NY 10463. To register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/equity-and-environmental-justice-creating-sustainable-green-spaces-and-reducing-waste-tickets-64908660551.
Responding to Domestic Violence and Sexual AssaultWorkshop for Clergy and Lay Leaders on Thursday, July 25
10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at St. John’s Church, 66 Clinton Street, Cornwall. Violence and its threat in relationships continue to be vital issues of physical, psychological, social, financial and spiritual survival for all too many people. “These people” are our parishioners! Our diocese has passed a resolution urging all parishes to become well informed, safe havens. A simple breakfast and lunch will be provided. These workshops are free, but registration is required. Space is limited. Registration Deadline: Thursday, July 18.
St. Mary’s Summer Camp: Began on Monday!
St. Mary’s Summer Camp has returned this summer with new Director Joann Serrano beginning Monday, July 15 through Wednesday, August 14. The camp will host public school children who have completed 2nd through 5th grade for a program of movement, academic enrichment, gardening, art and recreation.
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/)
Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC • NYC Adventist Forum • Pamsula Zen • Al- Anon • Alcoholics Anonymous • Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP) • the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC) • Narcotics Anonymous • Circles of Support/Network • St. Mary’s Center • Urban Qi • Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts • Forces of Nature Dance Theatre.
Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct • Eglise de Dieu • Emergency Services • Manhattan North Task Force • Old Broadway Family Residence • Old Broadway Synagogue • Templo Biblico • Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week • Anyone who is not able to be with us.
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Syida Adam, Carlos Arias, Jennifer Balsdon, Freddi Brown-Carter, Professor Bradley, Jim Butler, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell and Tyrone Felder, Natalie Floyd, Samuel Franklin, Rachel & Jessica & Becky & Vivian Furer, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Claudia Giles, Eva Greene & Family, Khadijah Harden & Family, Elnora Harewood, Junie Harewood, Gail Harper, Jamaree Harrigan, Anthony Howell, Lisa Jerell, Ana Jimenez & family, Donna Sue Johnson, Zaiire King, Joseph Lorde, Joy Ladin, Desiree Manaiza, Courtney Maine, Roy Matney, Jerry McMillan, Aidan Moctar, Joseph Munzer, Miguel & Liz & Dasanie Nieves, Sheila Patterson, Wilfrido Peralta and Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, Dawn Reeves, Virginia Robinson, Derek + Ruby Reeves, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Kym Roberts, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marion Smith, Philindia Smith, John Raymond Smith, Kimberly + + +
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin.
To reach the Rector: please call 929-266-6279 or email: email@example.com
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month.
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome.
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, August 11!
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, July 21!
- Wisdom Circle (NO Wisdom circle in July)
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, July 28!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, July 28.
- Ecclesia Service & Meal 1st Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed to help prepare and serve the “Second Meal” following the service.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 2:00pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.Contact the Parish Office for more information.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics AnonymousMondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical PartnershipTuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop Tuesdays at 7:15pm in the Parish Hall. For more information contact Lysander Puccio.
- Urban Qi Every Wednesday and Saturday at 10:30 am at St. Nicholas Park @135thStreet. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. ( Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members)
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx meets the last Sunday of each month for interfaith justice and peace activism and community. On second Thursdays, our agenda is hands-on work. We gather at 6:30PM to share food, experiences, feelings, followed by strategies for advancing the struggle. For information call Jim White at 201-956-5356. Next meeting: June 27.
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon(Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. july 26 stan & ollie (2018, pg, 1h38min, bio-dramedy) comedy duo laurel and hardy embark on a tour through post-war Britain. w/ steven coogan, john c. reilly.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist ForumLed by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
+ + +
Free Mail Pick-Up
Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop
Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresoa apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter
Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.