This week at St. Mary’s
TODAY, SUNDAY, Sept. 8
The Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary!
Bishop Shin preaching and presiding, festival of art and movement to follow.
Freedom Days: St. Mary’s Children’s Program
Freedom days is a program for public school children age 6 to 9 years old designed to explore the fun and responsibilities of human freedom through arts and movement. Led by Rev. Mary and Ms. Carla and friends. Registration is open first-come, first-served for up to 20 children.; $25 fee for all sessions, or $5 per session. Please stop by on Sunday after worship for registration, or at the office from 10am – 2pm Monday through Friday.
RDJ Refugee Shelter Inaugural Cocktail Reception: #ChangeTheNarrative
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 @ 6:45 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Join the shelter staff for a fundraiser cocktail reception. Parishioners, please use the free tickets and donation tickets to R.S.V.P.
American Red Cross: Blood Donors NEEDED, especially Type 0+
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
The Seating of The Right Reverend Dickson Chilongani, Bishop of the Diocese of Central Tanganyika
Sunday, September 15, 2019 @ 4 p.m.
International Cathedra of the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
You are cordially invited to an Evensong service for the Seating by the Bishop of New York of the Right Reverend Dickson Chilongani, Bishop of the Diocese of Central Tanganyika.
Peace and Serenity Anniversary Concert and Dinner Celebration
Sunday, September 22, 2019 @ 5 p.m. (doors open at 4:30p.m.) @ St. Mary’s
Skinny Kenny Productions presents Kenny Allan Smith’s Peace and Serenity 35th Year Anniversary Reunion and Homecoming Celebration. Anniversary dinner immediately following concert in the rectory-parish hall and in the Garden. We’re gonna have church! tICKETS: $50. To RSVP: call Kenny Allan Smith at 929.300.2100 or email email@example.com. Please see announcements table for flyers containing the full list of performers.
New York Altar Guild Workshop
Saturday, October 5, 2019 @ 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Grace Church (Tuttle Hall), 802 Broadway, Manhattan
All members of parish altar guilds are invited to this 7th annual NYAG workshop! There is no charge, but registration is required. Lunch will be provided. Registration deadline: Friday, September 20. Questions? Judith Barba, firstname.lastname@example.org, 845-298-0552
Workshop on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
Thursday, October 10, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Church of the Heavenly Rest, 2 East 90th Street, Manhattan
A One-Day Workshop for Clergy and Lay Leaders sponsored by the diocesan Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Task Force. This workshop aims to inform and equip our lay and ordained leaders with tools to better respond to parishioners experiencing domestic violence and/or sexual assault, i.e. interpersonal violence in all its forms, seeking refuge, support and empowerment towards choices of safe and abundant living. The workshop is free, but registration is required. Space is limited. Registration Deadline: Thursday, October 3. Rev. Dr. Victoria J. Rollins, email@example.com, 917-805-9765. https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/domestic-violence-sexual-assault-workshop-oct-2019/
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We pray for transitions! We pray for the renovation of the sanctuary floor, for the workers and for the Forces of Nature Dance Theatre with whom we are now sharing the space.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Carlos Arias, Freddi Brown-Carter, Professor Bradley, Jamilah Danielson, Taino Danielson, Dorothy Dicent, Jackie Edwards, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell and Tyrone Felder, Rachel & Jessica & Becky & Vivian Furer, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Eva Greene & Family, Khadijah Harden & Family, Elnora Harewood, Junie Harewood, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, Anthony Howell, Ana Jimenez & family, Donna Sue Johnson, Ivory Johnson, Joseph Munzer, Wilfrido Peralta and Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, Dawn Reeves, Derek + Ruby Reeves, Virginia Robinson, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Kym Roberts, Yolanda Royal + Family, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Marilyn Seven + Roy, Effie Scott, Marion Smith, Philindia Smith, John Raymond Smith, Gwen Walker, Marsha Williams + + +
We pray for the Snyder family, especially for the repose of the soul of Rodney Snyder.
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: email@example.com
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month.
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, October 6!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, October 3!
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, September 15!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, September 15!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, September 22!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, September 29!
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org. The pantry will be closed tomorrow, 9/9/2019.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi Every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at 10:30 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. ( Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members)
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Sept. 12.
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. sept. 13 us (2019, r, 1h56min, horror) worlds of the haves and have nots collide, to terrifying effect. not for the faint of heart. lupita nyong’o, winston duke, dir. jordan peele.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up
Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop
Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter
Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact email@example.com.