© Dr. Robert J. Woodbine, N.D., M.Ac.O.M.
The era we live in is replete with easily accessible information; especially through the internet. It is a mixed blessing that on one hand democratizes our ability to be well-informed and not dependent and on the other hand can ‘burden’ us with the active responsibility of being independent thinkers and self-reliant. When it comes to living an atypical life imbued with quality health, the plethora of options to glean from can seem esoteric and sometimes overwhelming to the average citizen. And while science as well as traditional indigenous practices continue to evolve our understanding of and meaning of health and wellness, there are some basic determinants of both that can act as guideposts as we search for how to prevent and optimally treat illnesses.
From my point of view which includes my personal and clinical experiences, the basic determinants of health and well-being are neither complex nor esoteric. However, they do require our conscious and active involvement. The following is a list of behaviors that help promote the synergy of spirit, emotions, mind, and the body toward the experience of wellness:
- Self-love and self-acceptance knowing that you are not the scars of your experiences
- Consciously expressing gratitude for all the gifts you are blessed with
- Consistent devotion to a spiritual and/or religious practice that acknowledges and supports the sanctity of life in all its various manifestations
- Conscious self-reflection and guided support as required to resolve mental-emotional trauma and resultant imbalances
- Creating and sustaining a reliable network of family and friends
- Avoiding and/or moderating those lifestyle habits inconsistent with heath and well-being (toxic relationships, toxic thoughts, smoking, alcohol in excess, recreational drug use, etc.)
- Engaging in daily movement/exercise; especially of the spine and legs.
- Ensuring you get regular quality sleep and rest
- Eating a variety of unadulterated meats, vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, and legumes
- Drinking sufficient unadulterated water consistent with your activity levels as to remain hydrated
- Getting regular wellness checkups from your healthcare providers
- Exercise the courage to be who you are and do what you love
While this list is not exhaustive, it is hoped it gives you pause to ponder and to realize that you and your perception as well as your choices provide the framework for how life may unfold. Embracing these basic tenets of being create a strong foundation with which to manage your experience of wellness.