521 West 126th Street, New York, NY 10027 ✠ (212) 864-4013
A warm welcome to our guest celebrant The Rev. Megan Sanders, Chaplain, Canterbury Downtown
RDJ Refugee Shelter Inaugural Cocktail Reception: #ChangeTheNarrative
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 6:45 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Join the shelter staff for a fundraiser cocktail reception. Parishioners, please use the free tickets and donation tickets to R.S.V.P.
St. Mary’s hosts Harlem Havruta Sukkah!
Saturday, October 12 – Sunday, October 20
Harlem Havruta, a liberation-based Jewish study group and St. Mary’s partner, will again build a Sukkah in the Garden in observance of the holiday Sukkot. All are welcome to help decorate, visit or eat in the Sukkah.
Special dates: Saturday, October 12 at 7 pm Sukkah “Crowning” and Havdalah (prayers) • Sunday, October 13 at 12 pm Sukkah decorating • Tuesday, October 15, 4-6 pm, Open Community Meal for all
Join us for Indigenous Peoples’ Day
Indigenous Peoples’ Day Celebration with guest leader Ms. Ana Hernandez
Sunday, October 13, 10:30 am
Indigenous Peoples Day, a counter-celebration to Columbus Day, honors native peoples and seeks to recognize and to heal a history of genocide and violence (more about Indigenous Peoples Day) St. Mary’s will celebrate the resilience, strength and ongoing contributions of Indigenous peoples to the United States. We will be led in song and reflection by special guest Ana Hernandez, composer, arranger and author. Bring your friends to this wonderful day.
Freedom Days: St. Mary’s Children’s Program
FIRST SESSION: Monday, Oct. 14th
Freedom days is a program for public school children age 6 to 9 years old designed to explore the fun and responsibilities of human freedom through arts and movement. Led by Rev. Mary and Ms. Carla and friends. Registration is open first-come, first-served for up to 20 children.; $25 fee for all sessions, or $5 per session. Please stop by on Sunday after worship for registration, or at the office from 10am – 2pm Monday through Friday.
Karaoke Game Night
Wednesday, October 16 @ 7-9 pm
Meet the choir in the parish hall for a fun evening of silliness and music! Step up to the mic or just enjoy the fun. Drinks & light snackettes will be served. Your $5 donation goes to support St. Mary’s. RSVP or just come if you can!
TIME CHANGE: Memorial Service for Evelyn Fortna
The Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, April 4, 2020, the anniversary of Evie’s death.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm.
St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.
Thursdays @ 5 pm Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union
3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We pray for transitions! We pray for the renovation of the sanctuary floor, for the workers and for the Forces of Nature Dance Theatre with whom we are now sharing the space.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Carlos Arias, Tracey Barnes, Pat Bard and Paula Herz, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell and Tyrone Felder, Rachel & Furer family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Eva Greene & Family, Khadijah Harden & family, Elnora + Junie Harewood, Gail Harper, Anthony Howell, Ana Jimenez & family, Joseph Munzer, Wilfrido Peralta + Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, Dawn, Derek & Ruby Reeves, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Julissa Santos & Jerry McMillan, Thomas Sayee, Marilyn Seven + Roy, Effie Scott, Marion Smith, Philindia Smith, John Raymond Smith, Karen Walking-Eagle, Katherine, Jackie and Hannah, Anne Williams, MCL + Anthony J Boyd, and Josephe Lorde + Stephanie Harewood
We especially hold our hearts in prayer for our friends Ivory Johnson, Gwen Walker, Marsha Williams, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Kimberly Snyder and their families; and for the repose of the soul of Sam Franklin, Rodney Alexander, Alan Jennings and all who mourn.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to email@example.com by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: firstname.lastname@example.org
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month.
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, October 6!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, October 3!
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, October 20!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, October 20!
- Theology Night at 5 pm in the Rectory w/ Ryan Felder from Union Theological Seminary: Sunday, October 20!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. TODAY Sunday, September 22!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, September 29!
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: email@example.com.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit http://www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at http://www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white email@example.com, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Oct. 24 & Nov. 28.
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. oct. 11 (indigenous people’s day feature) skins, 2002, r, crime drama. Inspirational tale of two brothers on the pine ridge indian reservation and a cry for justice.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up
Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop
Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter
Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.