✠ Welcome to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church! ✠
ST MARY’S SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The Rector will be on vacation from Monday, October 28 to Friday, November 1.
- Sunday, November 3 is All Saints Sunday & “fall back” Daylight Savings time.
- All are welcome to add names to the Book of Remembrance (found on the table at the entrance to the church) in preparation for
Freedom Days: St. Mary’s Children’s Program
SECOND SESSION: Monday, November 11th (11am – 3pm) – Veterans Day
A program for public school children age 6 to 9 years old designed to explore the fun and responsibilities of human freedom through arts and movement. Led by Rev. Mary and Ms. Carla and friends. Registration is open first-come, first-served for up to 20 children. $25 fee for all sessions, or $5 per session. Please stop by on Sunday after worship or at the office M-F 10am – 2pm to register.
NEW: Weekday Evening Prayer at St. Mary’s
Parish administrator and Union student, Davíd Patiño will be leading a weekly evening prayer at St. Mary’s. We are currently determining what the best time and location for the evening prayer will be due to renovations and time availability. If you are interested in attending at least twice a month, please email Davíd at email@example.com with your availability: Wednesdays at 5:15pm OR Thursdays at 7pm (or Wednesdays at 7pm).
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Documentary Screening of The Nuns, The Priests, and The Bombs
Tuesday, October 29 at 7 PM (doors open at 6:30pm)
Thurgood Marshall Room, 80 La Salle St., Morningside Gardens (enter through back door)
Producer, Helen Young will join us for the screening to be followed by distinguished panelists, including Rev. Dr. Chloe Breyer, and audience discussion.
Healthy Self, Heal-Thy Self
8 Weekly Sessions Starting Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 11:30AM – 1:00PM
At CONNECT- 127 W. 127 St., Rm. 432, New York, NY 10027
Intimate partner abuse can create situations where women feel isolated, trapped and confused about their experiences. This is an 8-session support group for survivors of intimate partner violence. To register, please email Sharene Roig at firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE NOTE: This is a CLOSED group. Registration will close November 13, 2019.
Catholic Encounters with Muslims : Francis of Assisi, Ignatius of Loyola, and Pope Francis
Sunday, November 2 at 1pm
Corpus Christi Church, 529 West 121 Street (in the Auditorium)
In observance of THE 800th ANNIVERSARY Year of the historic meeting between ST FRANCIS and the SULTAN of Egypt in 1219, Fr Patrick Ryan, S.J., will give a talk entitled “Catholic Encounters with Muslims : Francis of Assisi, Ignatius of Loyola, and Pope Francis”. Refreshments will be offered. For more information please email: email@example.com.
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We give thanks for Solutions Contracting and their workers who are repairing the undercroft ceiling, for all our partners and constituents who have been relocated to the Parish Hall, Rectory and Church.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Carlos Arias, Pat Bard, Tracey Barnes, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Victoria Dove, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell & Tyrone Felder, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Khadijah Harden & family, Elnora & Junie Harewood, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ana Jimenez and family, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Olaniyan family + Emmanuel Afolabi, Wilfredo Peralta & Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Reeves family, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson, Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, Philindia Smith, Kimberly Snyder (in ICU) and the Snyder family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Karen Walking Eagle, Marsha Williams and family.
We pray also for the Harewood and Lorde families in their grief; we pray for the repose of the soul of Kimberly Snyder, for Jimmy, her husband, and all her family.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: email@example.com
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, November 3!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, November 3!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, November 10!
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, November 17!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: TODAY, Sunday, October 20!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. TODAY, Sunday, October 27!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: TODAY, Sunday, October 27!
- Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union Thursdays at 5 pm led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, 3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit http://www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at http://www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Oct. 24 & Nov. 28.
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. nov. 1 (all saints/halloween feature) young frankenstein (1974, pg, comedy, 1h46m) descendant of famed dr. frankenstein is tempted by family history. mel brooks, dir. w/ gene wilder, madeline kahn, marty. pure genius.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up
Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop
Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter
Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact email@example.com.