✠ Good Morning and Welcome to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church! ✠
ST MARY’S SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Parish Office is closed for Veterans Day, Nov. 11
Freedom Days: St. Mary’s Children’s Program
SECOND SESSION: Monday, November 11th (11am – 3pm) – Veterans Day
A program for public school children age 6 to 9 years old designed to explore the fun and responsibilities of human freedom through arts and movement. Led by Rev. Mary and Ms. Carla and friends. Registration is open first-come, first-served for up to 20 children. $25 fee for all sessions, or $5 per session. Please stop by on Sunday after worship or at the office M-F 10am – 2pm to register.
Sunday, November 24 at 10:30 am
Thanks to a generous grant from the Episcopal Diocese of New York, (First Steps) program, we will welcome performance artist and musician Delwin Fiddler.
The city with the greatest number of Native Americans is NYC ; 10 Lenape sites in Manhattan (and Governor’s Island) ; The Manna-hatta Fund: settlers recognizing our responsibility and relationship to Native peoples.
NEW: Weekday Evening Prayer
Wednesday, November 20th at 5:15pm in the Sanctuary
SAVE THE DATE: Annual Holiday Crafts Fair
Saturday, December 7th. More information to come… For more information contact: email@example.com
The Prophetic Merton: The Word That Opens Hearts to Hope
Saturday, November 16 at At Corpus Christi Church (529 West 121 Street)
The Thomas Merton Society will hold its Annual Retreat/Day of Recollection. Fr Daniel Riley, OFM, will lead the day of reflection. Fr Riley is a member of the Holy Name Province of the Franciscan order and the founder and animator of Mount Irenaeus, a Franciscan retreat community in upstate New York. Manhattan: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. A light lunch will be provided following the noon Mass. Cost: $20 for Members & students, $35 for non-Members. To reserve your place, or for more information, visit thomasmertonnyc.org/events.
Third Annual Thanksgiving Multi-Faith Celebration & Meal
Wednesday, November 27, 6:00- 8:00pm at All Souls Episcopal Church
88 St. Nicholas Avenue (between W. 114th & W. 115th Streets). Downstairs in Social Hall. All are Welcome!
I Can Excel Figure Skating In Harlem: ENROLLING GIRLS NOW
Join an award winning afterschool program and become part of a sisterhood. I Can Excel provides students with two days of tutoring and educational programming at our Academic Center located at 361 West 125th Street, as well as two days of ice skating instruction and off-ice conditioning at Riverbank State Park. Program runs after school beginning in October. Girls: ages 6-18, Priority to girls in Harlem, Upper Manhattan and the Bronx, Students must interview. RSVP with Shatema at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 646.698.3440 ext. 2.
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We give thanks for Solutions Contracting and their workers who are repairing the undercroft ceiling, for all our partners and constituents who have been relocated to the Parish Hall, Rectory and Church.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Carlos Arias, Pat Bard, Tracey Barnes, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Congressman Elijah Cummings, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Victoria Dove, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell & Tyrone Felder, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Khadijah Harden & family, Elnora & Junie Harewood, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ana Jimenez and family, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Olaniyan family + Emmanuel Afolabi, Wilfredo Peralta & Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Reeves family, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson, Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, Philindia Smith, Kimberly Snyder (in ICU) and the Snyder family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Karen Walking Eagle, Marsha Williams and family.
We pray also for the Harewood and Lorde families in their grief; we pray for the repose of the soul of Kimberly Snyder, for Jimmy, her husband, and all her family.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to email@example.com by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: firstname.lastname@example.org
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, December 1!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, December 1!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. TODAY, Sunday, November 10!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. TODAY, Sunday, November 10, 5-6:30 pm in the Parish Hall
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, November 17!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, November 17!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, November 24!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, November 24!
- Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union Thursdays at 5 pm led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, 3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: email@example.com.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white email@example.com, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Nov. 28.
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. nov. 15 aladdin, 2019, pg, fantasy, 2h8m, street kid tries to win a princess with a magic lamp. w/ will smith.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.