ADVENT SEASON ANNOUNCEMENTS!
“Harriet” Field Trip
TODAY, Sunday, December 1, in the afternoon (stay tuned for specific show time).
Join St. Mary’s and friends to see the movie about Harriet Tubman at the Magic Johnson Theaters. To sign up, please see Rev. Mary after service, visit or call the office. Tickets are approximately $12 each. We ask those who can, to please sponsor or subsidize other congregants’ tickets.
NEW: Biweekly Evening Prayer on Wednesdays
Wednesday, December 4th at 5:15pm in the Sanctuary
10th Annual Alter-Knit-ive Harlem Holiday Crafts Fair
Saturday, December 7th, 11 am – 5 pm. at St. Mary’s – in the Sanctuary
Come support local makers and get one-of-a-kind handmade gifts for the holidays! Plus live music and tons of fun!
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.864.4013
Caminando en Fe: Celebración de Liderazgo Laical Latinx
Miercoles, 11 de Diciembre, 6:30 p.m. en Union Theological Seminary, 3041 Broadway (121st & Broadway)
Están cordialmente invitados a una celebración de la comunidad Episcopal Latinx: 6:30pm Recepción, 7pm Eucaristía, 8pm Convivio. Preguntas? Comuníquese con la oficina de vitalidad congregacional y formación, email@example.com, 212-316-7433.
Advent Quiet Day
Saturday, December 14, 10am to 2pm at St. Phillip’s Church-Harlem
The Manhattan North Inter-Parish Council and the Manhattan North Clericus invite you to an Advent Quiet Day. Retreat leader: Lisha Epperson. Celebrant and Eucharist following retreat: The Rev. Canon Terrence Lee, Rector.
A Christmas Carol and Caroling
Sunday, December 22, 10:30 am.
A special service of storytelling and singing! To read, sing or play a part, please contact seminarian, Sabra Jones, or the parish office.
Documentary Screening and Discussion ~ Miss Representation
Wednesday, December 4, 7pm to 9pm at All Saints’ Church (230 East 60th Street)
In commemoration of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence, the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Task Force of the Episcopal Diocese of New York invites you to view the documentary film, Miss Representation. Please join us at 7:00 p.m. for the film, followed by a short discussion after the viewing. (All are most welcome to attend Evening Prayer at 6:30 p.m., as well.) We invite you to wear a touch of orange, the color that symbolizes a brighter future and a world free of violence against women and girls.
14th West Side Tenants’ Conference/ Conferencia Anual de Inquilinos del West Side (FREE)
Saturday, December 7, 9:30am-4pm at Fordham University School of Law (Lincoln Center, W. 62nd St.)
Keynote speaker: Public Advocate Jumaane Williams. This year’s conference will feature panels and workshops on finding and obtaining affordable housing, sustainability, skills for organizing, right to counsel for tenants and more. The conference is FREE and breakfast and lunch will be provided! Please contact Jfurlong @hcc-nyc.org for more information.
Diocesan Reparations Event: Apology Retreat: Apologize? Why? For What? To Whom? How?
Saturday, December 14, 9am to 3pm at Christ Church, Staten Island
This retreat explores what it means to apologize for the sin of slavery and its lingering effects. It will give the skills to apologize effectively so we can look to a new future. Led by the Rev. Masud Ibn Syedullah, TSSF and the Rev. Chuck Kramer. Cost: $25, includes lunch. For more info: https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/apology-retreat-dec-2019/
Apology Retreats are also scheduled on the following Saturdays in 2020: January 11, February 15, and March 28.
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We give thanks for Solutions Contracting and their workers who are repairing the undercroft ceiling, for all our partners and constituents who have been relocated to the Parish Hall, Rectory and Church.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Ayse Gul Altinay, Pat Bard, Tracey Barnes, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Victoria Dove, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell & Tyrone Felder, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Asha Hans, Khadijah Harden & family, Harewood & Lorde families, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ana Jimenez and family, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Olaniyan family + Emmanuel Afolabi, Wilfredo Peralta & Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Reeves family, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson, Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, the Snyder family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Karen Walking Eagle, Marsha Williams and family.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: email@example.com
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. TODAY, Sunday, December 1!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. TODAY, Sunday, December 1!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, December 8!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. Next date: TBA
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, December 15!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, December 15!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, December 22!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, December 22!
- Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union Thursdays at 5 pm led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, 3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Dec. 26
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. dec. 6 the boy who harnessed the wind, 2019, pg, drama, 1h53m, a 13-year-old boy invents a way to save his family and village in malawi from famine. incredible true story. w/ chewetel ejiofor.
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact email@example.com.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.