ADVENT SEASON ANNOUNCEMENTS!
TODAY, Sunday, Dec. 8, 12:15 pm
Coffee Hour Conversation: Restorative Justice with Rev. Dr. Sally MacNichol and Ms. Keisha Kogan.
Connect NYC will introduce us to the practice and process of Restorative Justice and invite members to further learning! All are welcome. For more information: http://www.connectnyc.org/
Miercoles, 11 de Diciembre, 6:30 p.m.
Caminando en Fe: Celebración de Liderazgo Laical Latinx
Union Theological Seminary, 3041 Broadway (121st & Broadway)
Están cordialmente invitados a una celebración de la comunidad Episcopal Latinx: 6:30pm Recepción, 7pm Eucaristía, 8pm Convivio. Preguntas? Comuníquese con la oficina de vitalidad congregacional y formación, firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-316-7433.
Saturday, December 14, 10am to 2pm
Advent Quiet Day at St. Phillip’s Church-Harlem
The Manhattan North Inter-Parish Council and the Manhattan North Clericus invite you to an Advent Quiet Day. Retreat leader: Lisha Epperson. Celebrant and Eucharist following retreat: The Rev. Canon Terrence Lee, Rector.
Sunday, December 22, 10:30 am.
A Special Christmas Carol and Caroling
Actors and singers needed to put together a reading of “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens, and everyone is invited to submit your favorite carols. For more information about participation, please contact Seminarian Sabra Jones. Invite your friends for this fun celebration on the 4th Sunday of Advent.
Wednesday Evening Prayer: postponed until after Three Kings Day in order to support Advent special carol program.
SAVE THE DATE
Tuesday, December 24, Christmas Eve Candlelight Eucharist at 5pm
Saturday, January 11, 2020: Undercroft renovations completion celebration from 6pm to 10pm
Diocesan Reparations Event: Apology Retreat: Apologize? Why? For What? To Whom? How?
Saturday, December 14, 9am to 3pm at Christ Church, Staten Island
This retreat explores what it means to apologize for the sin of slavery and its lingering effects. It will give the skills to apologize effectively so we can look to a new future. Led by the Rev. Masud Ibn Syedullah, TSSF and the Rev. Chuck Kramer. Cost: $25, includes lunch. For more info: https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/apology-retreat-dec-2019/
Apology Retreats are also scheduled on the following Saturdays in 2020: January 11, February 15, and March 28.
Spiritual Care Circle: Support Group for Survivors
8 Weekly Sessions: Wednesdays, January 29-March 18, 6pm-8pm at CONNECT (W. 127th St)
Through this circle survivors can provide a hospital container to hold each other’s stories, assist in re-connection with their spiritual lives, help create a routine of self care, build up spiritual resilience, utilize ritual and journaling as forms of creating spiritual prescriptions for haling. Registration closes Feb. 12th. To register contact Keisha Kogan at email@example.com
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We give thanks for Solutions Contracting and their workers who are repairing the undercroft ceiling, for all our partners and constituents who have been relocated to the Parish Hall, Rectory and Church.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Ayse Gul Altinay, Pat Bard, Tracey Barnes, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Victoria Dove, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell & Tyrone Felder, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Asha Hans, Khadijah Harden & family, Harewood & Lorde families, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ana Jimenez and family, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Olaniyan family + Emmanuel Afolabi, Wilfredo Peralta & Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Reeves family, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson, Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, the Snyder family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Karen Walking Eagle, Marsha Williams and family.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: email@example.com
✠ Regular Happenings at St. Mary’s Church! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, January 4!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, January 4!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. TODAY, Sunday, December 8!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. Next date: TODAY, December 8 at 5-6:30 pm in the Rectory. 5 pm.
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, December 15!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, December 15!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, December 22!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, December 22!
- Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union Thursdays at 5 pm led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, 3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Dec. 26
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. dec. 13 avengers: endgame, 2019, pg-13, sci-fi action, 3h1m, the surviving avengers try to restore the universe..
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact email@example.com.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.