✠ Good Morning and Welcome to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church! ✠
521 West 126th Street, New York, NY 10027 ✠ (212) 864-4013
Tuesday, December 31
The Meaning-of-Life New Year’s Eve Movie Night Marathon, starting at 5pm
toy story 4 (2019, g, animated comedy, 1h40m) a road trip and a new toy “forky,” help woody to realize what he wants out of life; the upside (2017, pg-13, dramedy, 2h6m) wealthy quadroplegic hires an ex-con to help him. w/ kevin hart, bryan cranston; a lesson before dying (1999, pg-13, drama, 1h45m) a black man in the south is convicted of murder and his defense is that he has the sense of a farm animal. a local schoolteacher teaches him his worth. w/ don cheadle, cicely tyson, mekhi phifer.
11:15 pm Watchnight Service with Eucharist
Watchnight is a traditional service to observe the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation that was enacted January 1, 1863. Bring your hopes for freedom in the year 2020!
Wednesday, January 1st: Parish Office will be closed
Saturday, January 4
FREEDOM DAYS Children Program, 11am-5pm
Movement, art, fun and learning about freedom for children ages 6-9pm. January 4th theme: Three Kings’ Day.
Three Kings’ Day Epiphany Party for Children, 3pm-5pm
Volunteers needed from 3-5 pm.
Saturday, January 11
Join us for the Undercroft renovations completion celebration from 6pm to 10pm.
2020 SAVE THE DATES
Saturday, February 8: The Blessed Absalom Jones Celebration, at The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
Saturday, March 28: Celebration of San Romero de America at Holyrood Church, Manhattan
Diocesan Reparations Event: Apology Retreat: Apologize? Why? For What? To Whom? How?
Saturday, January 11, 9am to 3pm at St. Augustine’s Church (290 Henry Street, Manhattan)
This retreat explores what it means to apologize for the sin of slavery and its lingering effects. It will give the skills to apologize effectively so we can look to a new future. Led by the Rev. Masud Ibn Syedullah, TSSF and the Rev. Chuck Kramer. Cost: $25, includes lunch. For more info: https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/apology-retreat-jan-2020/
Storymakers Training – Engaging Faith Through the Imagination
Saturday, February 1, 10am-1pm at St. George’s Chapel, 7 Rutherford Place, Manhattan
Storymakers is dedicated to creating imaginative content that engages children through the stories of the Bible. Through our offerings we hope to capture the hearts of our children, draw families back into church and equip volunteers with the tools to form our children. For more information: https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/storymakers-training-engaging-faith-through-imagination/
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
We give thanks for Solutions Contracting and their workers who are repairing the undercroft ceiling, for all our partners and constituents who have been relocated to the Parish Hall, Rectory and Church.
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
We pray for all on our parish prayer list, including Ayse Gul Altinay, Pat Bard, Tracey Barnes, Freddi Brown-Carter, Paul Bryan, Donna Butler, Jamilah & Taino Danielson, Victoria Dove, Jackie Edwards, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Shirrell & Tyrone Felder, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Asha Hans, Khadijah Harden & family, Harewood and Lorde families, Gail Harper, Paula Herz, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ana Jimenez and family, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Wilfredo Peralta & Carmen de Peralta, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Reeves family, Kym Roberts, Virginia Robinson, Talia Romano, Yolanda Royal & family, Mia Sanchez, Lizetta Sanjuago, Thomas Sayee, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, the Snyder family, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Karen Walking Eagle, Marsha Williams and family.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to email@example.com by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: firstname.lastname@example.org
✠ REGULAR HAPPENINGS AT ST. MARY’S CHURCH! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, January 5!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, January 5!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Sunday, January 12!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. Next date: Sunday, January 12 at 5-6:30 pm in the Rectory. 5 pm.
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. Sunday, January 19!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: Sunday, January 19!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. TODAY, Sunday, January 26!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: TODAY, Sunday, January 26!
- Weekday Eucharist at EDS@Union Thursdays at 5 pm led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, 3041 Broadway (please check in at reception and ask for directions to the Small Chapel)
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: email@example.com.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Harlem CoDA Mondays at 6:45pm in the Parish Hall. For more information visit www.nyccoda.org or email coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am at St. Nicholas Park @135th Street. Inclement weather–meet in the Undercroft. (Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members). You can follow them at www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white email@example.com, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Jan. 30
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. dec. 31 @ 5pm Join us for the NEW YEAR’S EVE MOVIE NIGHT MARATHON! Marathon followed by a midnight mass at 11:30pm to welcome in the new year — for any who wish to attend!
- Saturday Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.