✠ Church Announcements ✠
Monday, January 20: Office Closed in Observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The Food Pantry will be OPEN.
Monday, January 20 at 2-5pm
Mental Health Justice for NYC (at St. Stephen’s United Methodist Church, 146 West 228th St., Bronx)
Please join us for an afternoon of learning and action: keep Allen Psych open, expand mental health services city-wide, stop sending NYPD to mental health crisis calls. For more information: talk to Jim White about the MMM&M participation or email email@example.com.
Friday, February 21 at 11am-5pm
Freedom Days Children’s Program
For more information contact Rev. Mary Foulke or the parish office at 212.864.4013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Bronx-wide Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration
Monday, January 20 at 10am (at St. Andrew’s Church, 781 Castle Hill Avenue, Bronx – corner of Lafayette Ave)
The Bronx Council invites you to join them as they give thanks for the life and ministry of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The day’s offering goes towards the Council’s MLK Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Rt. Rev. Andrew ML Dietsche will preside. The Rev. Tracy Johnson-Russell, Rector, St. Monica’s Church, Hartford, Connecticut will preach.
The Trappist Twist: Merton & Nouwen in Conversation
Saturday, January 25 at 2pm – 4pm (at Corpus Christi Church, 529 West 121 Street)
The Thomas Merton Society and the Corpus Christi Conferences present Dr Michael Higgins, Distinguished Professor of Catholic Thought at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut. His talk will be in celebration of the birthdays of Thomas Merton and Henri Nouwen. Birthday celebration to follow. Free. For more info: (212)666-9350 or email: email@example.com
Storymakers Training ~ Engaging Faith Through the Imagination
Saturday, February 1 at 10am – 1pm (at Calvary-St. George’s, 4 Rutherford Place)
Storymakers is dedicated to creating imaginative content that engages children through the stories of the Bible. Through our offerings we hope to capture the hearts of our children, draw families back into church and equip volunteers with the tools to form our children. To RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Blessed Absalom Jones Celebration
Saturday, February 8 at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm (at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine)
Celebrant: The Rt. Rev. Andrew M L Dietsche, Bishop of New York. Preaching: Rev. Charles A. Wynder, Jr. Staff Officer for Social Justice, Advocacy Engagement, Reconciliation and Creation Care. This event will offer ASL Interpretation.
Academia Ecuménica de Liderazgo: Entrenamiento de Facilitadores
Friday, February 21 to Sun, February 23, 2020
La Academia es un programa de desarrollo y formación de liderazgo Latinx especialmente diseñado para el ministerio laical de la iglesia. Para más información: https://www.dioceseny.org/ednyevent/academia-ecumenica-de-liderazgo-entrenamiento-de-facilitadores/
Stephen Ministry Introductory Workshop
Saturday, February 29 at 9am-1pm (St. Stephen’s Church, 8926 168th St, Jamaica, NY )
This program has been making it possible for congregations to organize, equip and supervise lay caregivers to provide high-quality, distinctively Christian care. Please, contact the Rev. Canon Victor Conrado (email@example.com) if you wish to attend this session.
Celebration of San Romero de America
Saturday, March 28 (at Holyrood Church, Manhattan)
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us. And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing✠
Ayse Gul Altinay, Freddi Brown-Carter, Donna Butler, Victoria Dove, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Asha Hans, Gail Harper, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Pat Puccio, William Randolph, Kym Roberts, Talia Romano, Mia Sanchez, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Marsha Williams and family, Congressman John Lewis (GA, D-5).
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Thomas Williams, Mary Wilder, Loretta Richardson and for the families in their grief.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: email@example.com
Do you use Amazon for online purchases? Use SMILE.AMAZON.COM and select St. Mary’s as your charitable organization: www.smile.amazon.com/ch/13-1624179
✠ REGULAR HAPPENINGS AT ST. MARY’S CHURCH! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, February 2!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, February 2!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Next: Sunday, February 9!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. Next date: Sunday, February 9 at 5-6:30 pm in the Rectory.
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. TODAY: Sunday, January 19!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: TODAY: Sunday, January 19!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Next: Sunday, January 26!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Next: Sunday, January 26!
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Parish Hall.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pamsula Zen Meditation Mondays at 6:00 pm in the rectory (6:00 Beginning Instruction, 6:30 Meditation, 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Talk, Discussion Q&A)
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm; free medical clinic with dental consults 1st& 3rd Tuesdays, psychiatry 1st Tuesdays, occupational therapy 2nd& 4th Tuesdays. No ID required.
- Refugee Arts Workshop next meeting TBA
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am in the Undercroft (in summer/good weather meet at St. Nicholas Park, 135th & St. Nicholas Ave). Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members. Follow them at www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white email@example.com, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Jan. 30
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. the book of eli (2010, r, 1h58min, adventure drama) lone man fights across a post-apocalyptic wasteland to protect a sacred book. w/ d. washington.
- Saturday Outreach/Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.