✠ Church Announcements ✠
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: We will be having 10:30 am Eucharist w/Healing Prayers. If you do not feel well, join us from home through facebook live, just go to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, Harlem page on facebook***
The Corona Virus: St. Mary’s encourages preparedness not fear!
- CHHMP: our free medical clinic is closed for the foreseeable future. Other options for free and/or urgent medical care will be posted on the red door and on our website.
- Communion: will be offered in one kind (just the bread) or a blessing. There will not be holy water in the font, but we will have other options for remembering the blessings of baptism.
Tips from the Rector:
Continue to do your part! Increase your personal hygiene habits: hand washing and more handwashing (when you arrive at a new location, before and after eating, after coughing or blowing your nose…), it helps protect you and prevent any spread of viruses of all kinds. If your immune system is compromised in any way or don’t feel well, keep a healthy physical distance from others, this might include staying home even if you don’t want to.Stay home from meetings, events and worship – we love you! You are more vulnerable to infection when you don’t feel well, and if you do have the virus you will help others by staying home. If you need food or want to talk, call the church 212-864-4013, or 929-266-6279.
Respect other people’s space, greet people warmly but without physical contact. Don’t hoard, do stock up on some extra food in case of quarantine. If you would like a bag of non-perishable food, come to the Food Pantry, Mondays at 4:30 pm (basic staples no choices); if you would like to “shop” (choose the food you want) please bring an ID and a piece of mail. If you are under quarantine and need food, please contact the Parish Office.
Wednesday, March 25 at 7pm
Lenten Service & Supper for Manhattan North IPC
A very special service as part of the series of Lenten services with Episcopalians in Harlem, observing both the Feast of the Annunciation and the UN International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Followed by a community meal in the Undercroft.
We will need volunteers for hospitality, worship, dinner set up, cooking, service, clean up. Please email the parish office to let us know you can help!
MNIPC Lenten Services at 7pm:
March 18 Holyrood Church/ Iglesia Santa Cruz (715 W 179th St, NYC, near the 181st 1-train)
March 25 St. Mary’s Manhattanville
April 1 All Souls Church (88 St Nicholas Ave, NYC)
CANCELLED: Saturday, March 21 Harlem Chamber Players Concert
The Hort’s Spring Seed Celebration (FREE)
Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 12pm at The Greenhouse Education Center at Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park, New York
A free, family-friendly event to celebrate and learn about the seeds that fill our gardens, bellies, and hearts!
The Hort staff will lead you through the full seed life-cycle, from planning out your growing space, to seed selection, to using what you’ve grown. We’ll even have fun seed-centric activities and games for kids and the chance to sample some of our favorite seed-based dishes. All attendees will leave with plenty of seeds and know-how to start the growing season off right and make the most of their harvest! Reserve you spot today: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-horts-spring-seed-celebration-tickets-96992821139
2020 Women’s Conference (FREE)
Part I: Faith Sector Response to Domestic Violence and Human Trafficking
Tuesday, March 17th at 10:30 am – 12:30 pm at St. Philip’s Epicopal Church (204 W. 134th St., Manhattan)
For more information: http://bit.ly/nycfaithresponse
Part II: Atabey: Momen in Sacred Places of Leadership
Sunday, March 22nd at 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 at Fort Washington Collegiate Church (729 W. 181st Street, Manhattan)
✠ We ask your Prayers for ✠
The Missions endorsed by St. Mary’s Vestry: The Black Lives Matter Movement (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/) • Jubilee USA (http://www.jubileeusa.org/) • The New Sanctuary Movement (http://www.newsanctuarynyc.org/). Our Partners: Unity Fellowship Church, NYC; NYC Adventist Forum; Pamsula Zen; Alanon; Alcoholics Anonymous; Columbia Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership (CHHMP); the Episcopal Churches in Harlem (MNIPC); Narcotics Anonymous; Circles of Support/Network; St. Mary’s Center; Urban Qi; Master Anthony Richardson Martial Arts; Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, San Marco Anglican Church, Nicaragua. Our Neighbors: 26th Precinct, Eglise de Dieu, Emergency Services, Manhattan North Task Force, Old Broadway Family Residence, Old Broadway Synagogue, Templo Biblico. Everyone who comes to St. Mary’s throughout the week, and anyone who is not able to be with us.
And for the broader church: The Diocese of New York (www.dioceseny.org/ ) | The Episcopal Church (www.episcopalchurch.org/) | The Anglican Communion (www.anglicancommunion.org/)
✠ Prayer Requests for Health & Healing ✠
Ayse Gul Altinay, Michelle Atkins, Freddi Brown-Carter, Donna Butler, Victoria Dove, Gloria Ellis-Smith, Edna Estime & Family, Furer family, Eva Greene & Family, Asha Hans, Kate + family, Gail Harper, William & Betty Jean Hill, Ivory Johnson, Camilo Lopez, Lisa Rivers Mazza, Davíd Patiño, Bonnie Phelps, Doris Puccio, Laurie Shearer, William Randolph, Kym Roberts, Talia Romano, Mia Sanchez, Effie Scott, Marilyn Seven, John Raymond Smith, Marion Smith, Jennifer Garamedia Turcio, Gwen Walker, Marsha Williams and family, Sarah Eigerman, Richard Walters.
+ + +
If you have any information to share with St. Mary’s church, please send it to email@example.com by Wednesday at 5 pm of each week to be placed in the weekly bulletin. To reach the Rector: firstname.lastname@example.org or 929-266-6279.
✠ REGULAR HAPPENINGS AT ST. MARY’S CHURCH! ✠
- Birthday and Anniversary Blessings 1st Sunday of each month. Sunday, April 5!
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory – Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome. Sunday, April 5!
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time. Next: Sunday, April 12!
- Theology Night Join in the conversation with scripture and one another about God’s power with seminarian Ryan Felder. Sunday, April 12!
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services. TODAY: Sunday, March 15!
- Wisdom Circle 3rd Sundays in the Rectory Common Room at 12:30 pm. Next Circle: TODAY: Sunday, March 15!
- 4th Sunday Potluck Bring a dish to share following 10:30am worship. Sunday, March 28!
- The Vestry Fourth Sundays of every month at 12:30 pm. The Vestry is the governing board of St. Mary’s. All are invited. Next meeting: Sunday, March 28!
- Ecclesia Service & Meal Sundays at 2:00 p.m. in Marcus Garvey Park, volunteers always needed.
- Unity Fellowship Church of New York Sundays at 1:30pm. Led by the Rev. Deborah Rice. Sr. Bishop Zachary Jones.
- Martial Arts for Children and Adults Sundays starting at 3 pm. Led by Master Anthony Richards.
- Narcotics Anonymous (We Have a Dream) Sundays at 7:30 pm
- Alcoholics Anonymous Mondays at 12pm in the Rectory.
- St. Mary’s Food Pantry Mondays at 4 pm grocery-style shopping choices available for all neighbors. For more information: email@example.com.
- Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership: CLOSED until further notice
- Urban Qi FIT – Tai Chi/Qigong Every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:00 am in the Undercroft (in summer/good weather meet at St. Nicholas Park, 135th & St. Nicholas Ave). Tai Chi and Qi Gong classes, free for St. Mary’s members. Follow them at http://www.twitter.com/UrbanQiFIT
- St. Mary’s Choir Every Wednesday at 6 pm—no audition required, newcomers welcome!
- Narcotics Anonymous (Men Supporting Men) Every Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- Miriam, Mark, Muhammad and Marx (MMM&M) meets the second and last Thursdays of the month. We gather at 6:00PM for food and friendship and then engage in study and action planning, particularly to support the New Sanctuary movement and to stop NYPD from killing people in mental crisis For more information write Jim white firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for him at the church office. Next meeting: Small Group on March 12 (6-8pm), Steering Committee at March 15 (3-5pm)
- Narcotics Anonymous (Convent Ave Group) Thursdays at 7:30 pm
- Al-Anon (Harlem Harmony) Every Friday at 11 am.
- Free Friday Movie Night! every Friday at 6:00 pm. march 20: speed sisters (2017, ur, 1h18min, action docu-drama) bold palestinian women make up the first all-woman race car driving team in the middle east.
- Saturday Outreach/Mobile Soup Kitchen every Saturday starting at 12 noon. Help prepare sandwiches and lunch bags and then distribute them to our neighbors on the street.
- Metro New York Adventist Forum Led by Ms. Janet Schultz. Adventist Forum gathers on the second Saturday of the month (please check for specific dates).
Free Mail Pick-Up
Monday – Friday, 10am-2pm. Use St. Mary’s as your mailing address. Sign up at the Church.
St. Mary’s Thrift Shop
Fridays 2-5, Saturdays 12-5, Sundays 12-3. All proceeds support St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and its mission to serve homeless and hungry people. Los ingresos apoyan la Iglesia Episcopal de Santa Maria y su misión de servir a las personas sin hogar y hambrientos de Harlem.
RDJ Memorial Refugee Shelter
Every night! The Refugee Shelter at St. Mary’s is always looking for volunteers for overnight shifts and more. This is a great opportunity to support immigrants and refugees in New York City. Please contact email@example.com.
Forces of Nature Dance Theatre
regular rehearsals, M-F, 6-10 pm. St. Mary’s members who wish to observe rehearsal are welcome.