Domestic Violence Resources in New York City
- Missionaries of Charity
406 W. 127 St. and Convent Ave.
They are listed as a domestic violence shelter on the Manhattan Outreach Consortium’s “Street Sheet” and appear to take most women. Potential guests should arrive in the AM, Monday-Sunday except Tuesday. This is a convent of nuns from Mother Theresa’s order. Please note: can be difficult to reach by phone.
- The Dwelling Place of NY, Inc.
409 W. 40th Street, New York, NY 10018
Sister Nancy Chiarello, OSF
Also run by nuns, they seem to take women in many kinds of circumstances, including w/mental illness. It is small, 15 beds.
“We look forward to meeting you and assessing your unique situation.” Intake office is open Monday through Friday; 9:30 am to noon. Women must be at least 30-years-old to be considered. Call (212) 564-7887 for more information.
- Safe Horizon has referrals for shelters/beds and other resources for domestic violence victims. Website: http://www.safehorizon.org/
Safe Horizon is New York City’s largest provider of domestic violence residences, operating both emergency shelters for crisis situations and transitional housing where women move after several months to plan for a future free from violence. The shelters offer comprehensive services including counseling, housing assistance, life skills and parenting courses, childcare, and medical aid.
- If you are a victim of domestic violence and are in need of shelter, please call:
Domestic Violence Hotline
Crime Victims Hotline:
Rape & Sexual Assault Hotline:
- Other Hotline listings:
Battered Women Hotline: 718-499-2151
Child Abuse Hotline: 800-342-3720
Crime Victim Hotline: 212-577-7777 0r 800-621-4673
Rape Crisis Line: 212-423-2140
Call 311 for a referral to someplace in an emergency.
Project Connect: Safe Families/Safe Communities – organization for the prevention and elimination of family and gender violence.
Legal Advocacy Helpline: 212.683.0605
Monday – Friday
9 am – 5 pm
Spiritual Resources at St. Mary’s
- Spirit and Strife Peer Support Group 1st Sunday of each month at 12:30 pm in the rectory after service. Come share your burdens and joys in this prayerful circle of support. New members always welcome.
- Women’s Prayer Group 2nd Sundays of each month at 12:30 pm – All women are invited to this discussion and prayer time.
- Healing Prayers 3rd Sundays of each month: laying on of hands/ prayer offered at the 8 & 10:30 services.
- Wisdom Circle (will resume in September on the 4th Sundays of each month)
- Helpful Sermons from our clergy and community:
- Mother’s Day Sermon, May 8, 2011